New Leaf Market Co-op Board Nominations
Nominate yourself or someone else for the New Leaf Market Co-op Board of Directors!
Being a start-up, New Leaf Market Co-op needs your time, expertise, and leadership! There are three open Board of Director positions for member-owners interested in working hard to make the co-op a reality in your community. Serving on the Board is your chance to help secure New Leaf’s vision of sustainable food security for yourselves, your children, and future generations.
To be considered for Board membership, there are two options:
1.Complete the nomination form and return it by November 14, 2016 according to the instructions on the form. At that time, the Nominating Committee will review nominees and propose a slate for the Board elections.
2. Obtain a petition from five member-owners according to the instructions on the nomination form. Individuals nominated by petition will be automatically be added to the slate of nominees without being reviewed by the Nominating Committee.
Board time commitment
* Meetings: Twice a month for two hours each
* Other: Often at least five additional hours per month outside of Board meetings for preparation, planning, and implementation of Board and committee work
We’re in need of special skills – are you the one we’re looking for?
We’re especially looking for people who have experience in: co-ops, retail grocery management, local food vendors and distribution, store design, marketing, legal, fund-raising, and financing.
Eligibility, expectations, and qualifications of Board membership
* Be a New Leaf Market member-owner in good standing
* Faithfully honor all legal obligations that come with Directorship, which include:
o Duty of care: Make informed decisions in good faith, act as a prudent person, use a good process for decision making, be honest, ensure adequate record keeping
o Duty of loyalty: Always act in the best interest of the cooperative, disclose and avoid conflicts of interest, engage in no self-dealing, maintain confidentiality
o Duty of attention/diligence: Attend meetings, participate in discussions, be prepared, review materials, ask questions, know and adhere to state laws and co-op bylaws, support Board decisions and policies, honor contracts, ensure payment of all tax obligations
* State all potential conflicts of interest on the nomination form and do not have an overriding conflict of interest
* Be familiar with and adhere to the Co-op’s bylaws and policies
* Prepare for and actively participate in bi-monthly Board meetings
* Attend Board training sessions and the annual owner meeting
* Respond to frequent Board work-related email communications
* Be willing to take responsibility for Board duties and to work together with understanding, mutual support, and respect
* Keep information and materials confidential
* Have the qualities of honesty, integrity, flexibility, and common sense
* Be able to communicate ideas with confidence; listen and respond with mutual respect
* Note that during the start-up period, the term could be either be for one, two, or three years
Upcoming board activities: The board will spend most of 2017 on the following activities:
* Finalizing a site
* Defining store layout and design
* Finalizing site build-out requirements and costs
* Finalizing general store equipment and inventory costs* Conducting a Member Preferred Stock Campaign
* Recruiting a general manager* Marketing and communication, including:
o Building community relations with similar organizations
o Branding the store and continuing to build community awareness
o Overseeing community-building social and educational events
o Growing the number of Co-op member-owners
Contact: Please contact the Board President, Lynn Walter, at
with the subject line “New Leaf Board Nomination” if you have any questions about serving on the Board or nominating someone.
We look forward to talking with you about serving on the
New Leaf Market Co-op Board!