Hello Fellow Current and Future New Leaf Market Owners!
If you missed the update of our accomplishments and plans at the member celebration at the last New Leaf Winter Farmers Market of the year, here it is:
1. Three successful years of New Leaf Winter farmers market in support of the health of our community and the well-being of local farmers and artisan producers (Thanks to you and the many local vendors and to Downtown Green Bay, Inc. and Bellin Health as well as Wisconsin Public Radio, WLUK Fox 11, and WYDR The Drive (99.7))
2. Member-owners now at over 657! (Thanks to Karen Early and all of the Membership and Marketing Committee and Arketype—our silent partner!)
3. Two professional Market Analyses (both show that the right downtown location can support a sustainable grocery cooperative)
4. Capital campaign materials and plan are well under way (Thanks to Pete Angilello and Diane Legomsky and the whole Fundraising Team!)
5. Member-owner investment plan is nearly complete (We owners should think about investing in New Leaf Market by loaning funds needed to open the store).
6. Current business plan and pro forma (Thanks to Marilyn Sagrillo and the whole Finance Committee!)
7. Positive responses from bank financers and the city of GB.
8. Consultants from the National Co-op Grocers Association and Cooperative Development Services. They have given us professional advice on the business plan, pro forma, market studies, store location, board development, grocery store design and much more).
9. Wonderful support from individual donors and community organizations and businesses (Thanks to Downtown Green Bay, Inc.; Wisconsin Public Service; UW Brown County Cooperative Extension; Arketype; Bellin Health!)
9. We are working collaboratively with a new organization—New Leaf Foods—Its mission--to provide education on healthy food and food systems and improve community food security—complements the mission of New Leaf Market.
10. We have an outstanding Site Selection Team, headed by Carol Karls of Wisconsin Public Service and including Jeff Mirkes of Downtown Green Bay, Inc., Nan Nelson of the Chamber, and Neil White of the City of Green Bay Development office. With our consultants from the National Co-op Grocers Association, the Site Selection Team has developed a list of site criteria, vetted many downtown properties, and ranked them. We have retained a local real estate attorney. Tom Dennee is serving as the Project Manager to advise and assist. They are in the process of negotiations with owners of our top rank property.
Choosing the right location is one of the most important decisions we will be making. The market studies project sales based on a complex analysis of traffic patterns, demographics, and competition.We want to spend their money in the most fiscally responsible manner we can, and we want New Leaf Market to be a sustainable business.We are committed to serving the needs of our member-owners for healthy fair-priced food. You have told us that you would like your store to offer a full service grocery store with deli, café seating, and bakery/coffee. All of these concerns affect our choice of location--a vital decision in making New Leaf Market Co-op a reality now and for generations to come.